I paid a visit to a wood near Kilmington yesterday on my 'day off'. I was amazed to see so many Digitalis (Foxgloves) this year and there were lots of other wildflowers around too. Digitalis is a toxic plant that was formerly used by folklorists and herbalists to treat problems with the heart. Herbalists have largely abandoned its use because of the difficulty of determining the amount of active drug in herbal preparations and an overdose can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and even death. Because of this Digitalis plants have earned several, more sinister, names including 'dead man’s bells' and 'witch's gloves'.